Thursday, July 21, 2016

Do you need new kit?

When people sign up for my beginners’ running group I send them an email with some FAQs in it. And one of those is about what kit they’ll need. Contrary to what most magazines will say, I tell them not to bother getting any new kit, just to turn up in what they have and feel comfortable in.

There’s a very good reason for this: I’m trying to limit the amount of barriers to them starting running. If you think you need a new pair of trainers and a tech shirt and a special pair of leggings, that’s a shopping trip and fair few quid between you and your first run. And that might be enough to make you put it off another week, another month, another… and not end up running at all.

image

So that’s why I say, dig out a pair of comfy trainers from the back of the cupboard, stick on a tshirt and a pair of leggings and just show up for that first run. You’re not going to be going very far that first time, the right kit can wait.

If you’ve been running for a few years now, shopping for new kit, new trainers, new seasonal outfits might be a fun thing for you to do. But put yourself in the shoes of someone who has never run before. Entering a running shop where you feel you don’t belong can seem an intimidating experience. “The shop staff might ask me questions and find out I’m not a REAL runner”.

Eventually though, you’ll need to buy a pair of running shoes. I put off going to but a pair of running shoes for a bit too long. I was running in an old pair of trainers I’d bought when I was still at school and didn’t realise were two sizes too small for me, and a Beasty Boys tshirt. Looking at my cupboad now (I think there were 20 pairs of shoes in there at the last count and A LOT of leggings) it seems a long time ago.

I have too many running shoes, I realise that and it’s on my to-do list to thin them down and pass pairs that are still good onto my mum, aunt and cousin. But as you run more miles and different sorts of miles, you’re going to start getting swayed by different pairs of shoes and asking yourself ‘Do I need new kit?’

IMG_4138

For me the list is: everyday running shoes, trail shoes, race shoes, cross country spikes and maybe a second pair of everyday shoes for rotation. That’s a lot compared to many people but running is my job now, I coach four days a week and do my own training too. I spend my life in lycra and running shoes so what I save on office wear I make up for in jazzy kit.

I’m also fortunate to get sent kit to try occasionally. The trail shoes above are the Brooks Cascadia trail shoe which I was sent a few weeks ago. I run along the Parklands Walk and in Highgate Woods in north London a lot, and although during the summer, the terrain is firm and not technical enough to demand a trail shoe, it’s a much nicer on rainy days when you have a little more grip.

If you’re yet to try running off-road my advice would be the same as to my beginner runners above – don’t make not having the ‘right kit’ put you off. Try it in what you have (because I’m pretty sure you won’t be doing the Bob Graham Round on your first off-road outing) and then if you like it, think about getting something a little more suited to your terrain.

I mainly know about running, but I’m pretty sure the same is true for most sports. Want to try swimming? Go in your cossie and grab a pair of goggles at the front desk. Cycling might be a bit more involved pre-cycle purchasing wise when it comes to the essenitals (you need a bike and a helmet after all) but there’s a lot you don’t need. Go riding in your running kit and save getting the full Team Sky skinsuit for another day… or maybe just never.Aldi cycle kit

If you like riding, there’s plenty of cheaper kit options out there. You don’t need to hand over every penny of your paycheck to ride in comfort. Aldi sent me a pair of Team GB padded cycle shorts (£8.99!), some cycle gloves and a track pump (because unless you’ve got killer biceps you’ll get tired of using a mini pump to get your tyre pressure up).

All pieces of kit work well and are really well priced. The padded bike shorts have been getting some action this past week and I have no complaints. Look out for their regular special buys online and in store.

So there you have it. If you find yourself asking ‘Do I NEED new kit?’ the answer is usually always ‘No’. But it’s nice to have sometimes.

Aldi and Brooks gave me the kit featured here free of charge but didn’t pay me or pressure me to mention them. 



from Lazy Girl Running http://ift.tt/29VRpgR

No comments:

Post a Comment