Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Bra Wars

One of my least favourite things to do is shop for bras. It’s up there with going to the dentist and getting my hair cut (I know a lot of people enjoy the latter but I just don’t get it).

So when I find a bra I like, I tend to bulk but and stick with it. Loyal or lazy, either way you’ll have to work hard to convince me to try something new.

When I first started running 8 years ago there was much less choice in this department. Seriously. “You young ‘uns don’t know how good you’ve got it. I remember when all this was fields – not a supportive sports bra that worked for a C Cup upwards to be seen!”

I used to run in a Marks and Spencer sports bra. At the time I thought it was pretty good and compared to what else was available, it was. I still have one of them because I’m a bit sentimental and can’t quite part with it. But then they changed the model I wore for the worst and made it all wrong so I had to shop around for a new bra. I don’t like to talk about that dark period in my life but, rest assured, after a few failed relationships with underwear, I came through it.

Today I have a couple of different bras that I run in, such is the variety available. Maybe my failure to commit to just one bra stems from a fear of getting let down like I did in the past – I like to keep my options open.

I run in the Ultimate Run Bra by Shock Absorber. It’s supportive and keeps my boobs in place. It comes in a few different colours and does what a bra needs to do while you’re running. The only downside to it is that it looks very much like a bra.

image

The Juno bra

I’ve also been running in a couple of Moving Comfort bras, namely the Juno and the Rebound Racer. [Disclosure: I was given the Juno bra then bought one myself.]

Again they keep my boobs from jiggling while I joggle, but they have a trump card – they don’t look obviously bra like. This might not be a big deal to many people but I’ll explain why it is to me.

Last summer I was running in the park on a really hot day – I wrote about it here. I was doing 1.5 mile efforts and got really hot. I did what I’d never done before and took my shirt off and just ran in my bra. Because it didn’t look that much like a bra, but more like a crop-top, I felt more confident.

This has since happened in the gym a few times. I live 400m from my gym and a few times this winter I’ve talked myself into speedwork when it’s cold or windy or raining by doing it on a treadmill. Only this then makes me get really hot and sweaty and I always forget this aspect, so sometimes I have to take my shirt off. But, ta-da, my ta-tas look like I’m wearing a crop top.

Obviously I should feel comfortable and confident running around in what the goddam hell I want, but that’s a whole other blog. If you’ve got any recommendations for bras, particularly in sizes D+, then pop them in the box below because that knowledge needs to be shared. There’s still women out there wearing two sports bras to run in – we can put a man on the moon, this shouldn’t be beyond science to sort out.



from Lazy Girl Running http://ift.tt/1WptSDm

No comments:

Post a Comment